Most of the time, when someone has a secret that they know they're not supposed to share, they let it out to at least one other person, just so that they don't have to carry the burden of that knowledge themselves. Also, usually the secret-teller in truth wants that information to get out, but they're just not ready or willing to let it out publicly. And then there are the secrets that have to be left unspoken, because the implications of that information getting out are just too dire.
I have one of those secrets, and I am being crushed under the weight of it. It's making me miserable, but there would be disastrous consequences if I let it out. So I am stuck with this one option. I have to just hold it in.
I have found that the best thing to do is to tell a married friend of the opposite sex who you see approximately once a week. That way, you have selected someone who knows the value of keeping secrets but you won't feel so guilty as you would have seeing him/her every day.
ReplyDelete